December 30, 2010

peace, love and a little poem

After a while, you learn the subtle difference
And between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
And company doesn’t mean security,
And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts
And presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With the grace of a woman,
Not the grief of a child,
And learn to build all your roads on today
Because tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans,
And futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight
And after a while, you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden
And decorate your own soul,
Instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure…
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth
And you learn
And learn…
With every goodbye,
You learn.

- Veronica A. Shoffstall


I can't remember where I found this poem despite convincing myself I'd easily remember no problem. I think I stumbled onto it while reading Le Love and liked the ease of the voice in the poem. As if it's someone aged and elegant speaking, or maybe someone exhausted by love or something else equally if not more profound. I'm back in Chicago after an extended break in Colorado where I spent some quality catching up with my childhood best friends. It's always nice just to be near them. With the end of this year I can't help but feel now more than any other year that this one is really coming to a close. Next year feels like it's holding something fabulous in store. I must however pay my respects to 2010. I won't raise my glass just yet, but I will say it's been a good year.

1 comment:

  1. It's a beautiful poem. The pictures go along with the theme well. Thank you. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete